If you ever wanted to help shape the future of the fleet and mobility industry, or if you aspire to be a leader in this ever-evolving profession, NAFA has a great opportunity for you: a seat on the Board of Directors.
The NAFA Board of Directors is a select group of representatives that determines NAFA’s strategic direction, focus, initiatives, and programs. There will be one seat on the Board open for election in the 2020 term, and you may be just the right person to fill it!
All Regular Members and Associate Members are eligible to nominate themselves or be nominated for consideration by the Nominating Committee. All valid nominations received by the October 1, 2019 deadline will be reviewed by NAFA’s Nominating Committee later that month. In assessing nominees, the committee will consider specific criteria the Board has deemed important for future leaders. If you are considering nominating yourself or someone else, the nomination should be sure to address these factors and skills:
- Strategic Thinking: the ability to come up with effective plans in line with an organization’s objectives within a particular situation.
- Leadership Skills: the aptitude to inspire, communicate, and delegate effectively, keeping in mind the organization’s mission and goals.
- Consensus Building/Collaborative Problem Solving: the skill to mediate potential conflicts that involves multiple parties, leading to resolutions that are acceptable to all parties involved.
- Critical Thinking: the ability to conduct an objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgment.
- Industry Experience: relevant fleet industry experience that will enable the person to offer opinions and guidance on topics of concern or inquiry.
- Flexibility: the ability to demonstrate willingness to change or compromise for the good of the organization.
- Communication Skills: the capability to convey information to people clearly and simply so the message is understood, while at the same time being able to understand the audience for which the message is intended.
- Time Commitment: the ability to be involved in the organization with no barriers to such involvement.
- Organizational Support: having the support of your employer to be an industry leader and devote time to the Board of NAFA.
- Passionate: having a love of the industry and the organization to want to help move both forward and in a positive manner.
In addition to the above, the Nominating Committee will be looking for individuals who are good stewards, have a servant-leader perspective, and enjoy working for the common good of the association and industry. In addition, it would be an added benefit if you have experience with, or exposure to, international/global/multi-national fleet and mobility management.
The NAFA Board of Directors meets in-person three times each year and the newly-elected Director’s attendance would be expected at each meeting. The 2020 meetings are February 6-7, June 18-20, and October 22-23. NAFA pays all expenses for Board members to attend these meetings. The Board also typically has 3-4 conference calls each year (about 60 minutes each).
To throw your name in the proverbial hat, you just need to complete the official “Candidate Consideration Form.” You can download a Word document here. You can also submit your entry online here: www.nafa.org/BoardCandidate.
The main purpose of the Candidate Consideration Form is to get your perspective on how you meet the criteria the Board has deemed important for future leaders. Of course, you can also add other information about why you would be a great candidate.
The deadline for submission of the form is 4 p.m. Eastern Time, Tuesday, October 1, 2019.
Being on the NAFA Board gives you an amazing perspective of the industry, provides opportunities for you to help shape the future of the industry, and offers you the ability to become a recognized national (and international) leader.
Any addition questions can be answered by NAFA Chief of Staff and Operations, Bill Schankel, CAE, at email@example.com.
NAFA Fleet Management Association is the membership organization for professionals who manage the mobility requirements of vehicle fleets that include commercial, public safety, trucks, and buses of all types and sizes; and a wide range of military and off-road equipment for corporations, governments, universities, utility fleets, and law enforcement in North America and across the globe. NAFA’s members are responsible for the specification, acquisition, maintenance, repair, fueling, risk management, and remarketing of more than 4.6 million vehicles that drive an estimated 50 billion miles each year. NAFA’s members control assets and services well in excess of $100 billion each year.
For more information, please visit www.nafa.org
, and communicate with NAFA on LinkedIn
, and YouTube