Select Year to View:
Release date: 6/3/2019
Highlights of NAFA’s June 2019 Legislative Update
Read the full Legislative Update at https://www.nafa.org/Publications/Legislative-Update/Archive.aspx
- Repeal of the federal excise tax (FET) on heavy-duty trucks
- European and Japanese Auto Imports: President Trump announced his decision to delay tariffs on automobiles and auto parts imported from Europe and Japan for six months on May 17, 2019.
- Imports from China: On May 10, 2019, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer announced an increase of duties to 25% from 10% on approximately $200 billion worth of Chinese imports.
- Canada has joined the Drive to Zero Pledge: The Minister of Environment signed Canada on to the Drive Zero Pledge, an international initiative aimed at increasing the number of zero- and low-emission vehicles in the medium- and heavy-duty transportation sector.
- Steel and Aluminum Tariffs Lifted: On Friday, May 17, the United States officially lifted the steel and aluminum tariffs it imposed on Canada and Mexico. Canada has, in turn, lifted its countermeasure tariffs on selected American goods.